My favorite biscotti are crisp, nutty and crumbly. To do this you are essentially making a cookie dough without butter and simply baking it in a brick form. Also to achieve this hard texture, a few times in the oven is the secret method required to baking perfect biscotti. Below is a basic recipe but you can always add raisins, anise, chocolate, hazelnuts or any ingredient you would like. Take care to follow the instructions carefully and do not forget to set the timer every time you turn the biscotti in the oven or they will become bricks!
Here are the ingredients and steps to follow!
1 cup whole almonds, toasted and chopped
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the sugar and eggs until thick for about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon and mix until combined.
- Form dough into a brick, about 12 inches long and 3 wide. Really you can form however you want. It’s your biscotti.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the log is firm.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Transfer the log to a cutting board and cut into 1 inch slices.
- Place the biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn slices over, and bake another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool and enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea!