After watching Food Network on Saturday, I decided to try to make gnocchi using this recipe by Giada De Laurentiis. Growing up, I always thought they were hard to make because too often I tried chewy and heavy gnocchi. With that being said, I gave it a try and they were a success. They were easy to make, light, and delicious.
Here are the ingredients and steps to follow!
1 big russet potato, baked and cooled
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup flour, plus extra for dusting
- Cut the baked potato in half and scoop the flesh into a large bowl. Using a fork mash the potato, salt and pepper together until smooth. Mix in 3 tbsp of the eggs.
- Sprinkle the flour over the potato mixture. Stir until the mixture forms a dough. Knead until smooth, 30 seconds.
- On a lightly floured work surface, divide the dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece between your palms and the work surface into a 1/2-inch-diameter rope (about 20 inches long).
- Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces. Roll each piece of dough over the tines of a fork to form grooves in the dough.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the gnocchi and cook until the gnocchi rise to the surface.
- Drain and serve with tomato sauce or any kind of sauce you would like. Add parmesan cheese and enjoy!